Gaining weight is one of the most asked questions which people struggle to achieve. The Topic as complicated as it sounds is rather easier. In today’s article, I will assist you with the simplest thing you can do to gain weight (and by gaining weight I am focusing on gaining decent muscle mass).
Weight gain is not Fat gain:
Though you might Gain some Fat in the weight gain journey but it is not essential. Weight gain and Fat gain are not the same, check this article. While aiming for weight gain, the approach should be gaining maximum amount of muscle that one can possibly gain without adding pounds of fat. If you gain a lot of fat during the gaining process, you will eventually need to put in more time to lose that fat.
How to start the journey:
To start your weight gain regime, you need to have reference data and then compare your progress with that data. This will allow you to evaluate your diet, workout, or recovery. The basic of weight gain is to consume slightly more calories than your body is consuming during a whole day of activity (this includes workout and daily household work).
Step 1: Know your bodyweight.. !! Obviously, if you want to gain weight, you need to know your body weight when you are starting the weight gain journey. You need to track your body weight on a weekly basis at the same time. Your weight can vary in the morning and evening so you will need to take the measurements at the same time of the day (preferably in the morning).
A good scale is essential to get correct bodyweight. Buying a scale that is not of good quality can show false result. Try these some of the best quality scales.
- HealthSense Dura-Glass PS 115 Digital Personal Body Weighing Scale
- Omron HN 289 (Black) Automatic Personal Digital Weight Machine
- Dr Trust Electronic Platinum Rechargeable Digital Personal Weighing Scale
Step 2: Keep a record of your daily food.. !! Have a look at your daily food (protein, carb, and fat). you want to have the same kind of food in your diet every day so that you can have a record of any changes that you are incorporating in your diet. You can have different veggies, legumes, beans but overall food should be same.
or you can use food tracker application like my fitness pal or healthifyme to log your food. This is efficient way of tracking as it provide you with the details of carbs, fat and protein that you are eating. however you will need food weighing scale to track food, as you will have to log Gram to gram. food scale are cheap and worth of any penny if you are willing to track your food. Try these from Amazon:
- HealthSense Chef-Mate KS 40 Digital Kitchen Weighing Scale
- ZIXAD Food Weight Scale Upto 10 KG
- Aalok Enterprise Digital Kitchen Scale Weighing Machine
Step 3: Observe.. !! Do your workout and eat the same food for a week. After a week, measure your bodyweight again. You are aiming to gain weight by 300 – 500gm in a week. If you observe no change in the bodyweight add a carb source and a protein source in your diet for a week. try to add additional calories and again observe after a week.
Step 4: Repeat..!! Repeat till you see the result and add again in case the progress halts.
- You should aim to gain 300 – 500gm of bodyweight per week. Gaining 1-2kg of weight every week might be an indication that body is gaining access body Fat. this gain in fat will be reflected in your body composition (face and belly) and will take more time to reduce in the fat loss period.
- You might need to increase the general protein in your diet in the starting so that muscle can get proper recovery.